Saturday, December 13, 2008

MEXICO CITY, DF - OCTOBER 2008 - THE BLESSINGS OF GOD

FINALLY
  , Please Forgive Me For The Delay ,
There is no good reason that it has taken me so long to get this slideshow posted.  I've just bee doing other things.  I tend to make things bigger in my mind and so put them off : ).  But here are some of the slideshows of the fantastic trip the Lord gave me October 1-15, 2008.  It definitely was from God as the ticket was through a mission scholarship from JIPC, birthday money from friends and family, and donations for the children from Rev. Emily Shelton, Nicole, Mrs. Simmons and Michelle from Muddy Waters.  The Lord provided in ways I never expected and was thrilled to be able to lavish a little love on the children at the Salvation Army Children's Home in Mexico City DF, Mexico. Andrea is the name cut off in one of the photos: ( in the first slideshow.  I had to break them up into several slideshows because I took so many photos :)!  So just be patient in letting them upload and they will eventually. It normally, takes less than a minute.  CORRECTIONS : ).  Some of these I knew and others I didn't.  I knew Saira's name was wrong but only corrected it on the DVD and forgot to before posting the slideshows. In one place I put Bryan's name where it should be Edwin with Salvador getting their prizes,  I spelled Judith's name without the h, and Jaime is Yamile - that one I never could get right : ).  I knew these three were sisters and their cousin is Uriel, but did not know the spelling of Enid (I always spelled it Anid),and Aranzazu (don't know how I could get that wrong!).  Their little sister, Itzel, is on a video on the DVD. And finally, I think, Bucho is Vocho because their V's sound like B's quite often.  Thanks to my friend Eva for helping me out there.  







This was my favorite part - 
Teaching Bible Classes In The Evenings
We could only have a certain age group as 80 children of ages 5-16 would be too much for just me.  So there were about 30 children and it was such a wonderful BLESSING!  They did so well in memorizing the verses, learning the songs and answering review questions from the Bible lessons.










PARTY TIME
It is so rare to have Pizza and is a HUGE treat for all.  So for those who had to stay the entire weekend we had a Pizza and Ice Cream Party.  It was so successful that I decided to have one for the last night I was there with ALL of the children and staff on duty.  It was great to be able to do this.  But the gift that I was most thankful to be able to give were the new clothes for Daniel.  He is without parents and was taken off the streets of Mexico City.  Correction Saira's name is spelled in correctly in this slideshow though correctly on the DVD. 







The Last One
It is difficult not to want to tell the story behind each of these photos, but at least they are posted now : )! Two things that seemed to change the most this time in comparison to years ago - LETTUCE was in the restaurants : ) and the beautiful parks.  


1 comment:

Peggy said...

Blessings Paulette...I know I came to see these BEAUTIFUL children because I had waited so to have this chance but I can't believe I did not leave a comment. It was have been when my system was down and I had to quickly view from a pay cyber. These are the BEST blessings to see the memories come alive & dreams to touch young lives once more realized. FINALLY!!!

I enjoyed them once again...and prayed over these precious children whose lives were touched by you but also by Jesus!

THE STORY "How It All Began"

 *Photobucket *                                         * Photobucket*  Here is the story of how it first started. This was written a few years ago for a mission fair at JIPC. Since it was already written there really is no reason to re-do it : ). Jack was not in the picture then so he is not included in this story, but his entrance onto the scene is a story for another time : ). The following is the text from years ago:


In the summer of 1987, I went out with Stono Baptist Church to Jenkin’s camp. There were a guy and girl taking out groups from the Charleston Baptist Association. Immediately, my heart jumped inside when I saw the little children and their excitement to learn. By the end of the time, I saw that not much was made of the wide door of opportunity and was sad. But my prayer then was that I would be able to teach children like that one summer. Little did I know what God already had planned. The next year I was a sophomore at Columbia Bible College, one of my friends was Angela Thomas from Charleston. We were just about out for the summer, in the midst of exams and all the end of the year craziness, when Ange asked me if I’d be interested in teaching out at Migrant camps on John’s Island. Her mom had been asked by Reverend Richard McQueen if Ange would be interested, and since she was unavailable and knew that I lived on John’s Island asked if I might be willing. It seems the person scheduled had bailed last minute and they were trying to find someone. But I know better!
Writing this now April 27, 2005, I can still remember being on Petty Hall like it was yesterday. I was not only willing – it was an answer to a prayer I’d forgotten that I prayed! So with little time to prepare and not knowing exactly what I was getting into, I began what would become the most fulfilling, difficult, heartbreaking, rewarding, joyful, sorrowful, love-filled, exciting summer days and nights : ) of my life. God so perfectly put it all together. It started with CBA, then my local church, Samaritan’s Purse after Hugo when I met Franklin Graham and eventually led to meeting Mr. Henry Meeuwse at James Island Presbyterian Foundation. Teaching children the powerful, life-changing Word of God gives me some of the greatest joy in my life. I also love the food, culture and language : ). The children and their families have become a very rich part of my life. I’m so thankful the other person was unable to go out that summer. I’m sure in God’s sovereignty He had something well suited to him for that summer, also. God’s love and control are boundless; I’m thankful He has given me the blessing of summers with so many wonderful people.

~ So there it is. That is how it began in 1987 as a seed, and then in 1988 as a dream fulfilled.