Monday, July 14, 2008

Margarita La Predicadora



Wow, this was so great for me to witness! Margarita and I have known each other for years! She has been more involved the last few years in helping me with the lessons during craft time where she didn't have to really talk : ). Last year there were so many others around and Margarita is so shy, so she was not coming out and listening to the lessons with her son or helping me. We went last night to Hollywood/Ravenel camp to visit her again. Jack was glad to see the little fawn again : ), and Fernando was quick to show us how he wasn't afraid of Gabiota now! Last time he was a little nervous about getting near her, but last night he wanted us to see how he could pet her. He wanted us to get photos of his bravery!!! And we were glad to do it.
~ Back to visiting Margarita, this was so amazing. While she and I were talking and I was giving Fernando some toys, I started handing out some toothpaste and toothbrushes to the few women who were there. One woman who had all of her belongings packed and on the ground by the fence I guess waiting for a ride, she came over and asked what we were selling. Margarita kind of laughed, she knows and I do too. We informed her that all is free and a gift from God. I began to ask her if she knew Jesus. While the three of us were having this discussion - the drunk - came up and wanted to take pictures of us. I call him the drunk because that was my initial thought. It seems there is always one who comes up completely intoxicated and joins these discussions. Sometimes it is a bit frustrating, because, as happened last night, the conversation is totally interrupted. The lady who had initially come up had no patience with him and left. But my heart went out to him. He was fairly young. I began to ask him if he knew Jesus. Now what happened next is not the way I would normally share the Good News, but I've learned that when talking with someone who is inebriated at the camps they need sobering truth. I asked him if he read the Bible, if he knew who Jesus Christ is, etc....? He said he did not know if he believed - he said he needed to see the reality of God. For being drunk his conversation was pretty thoughtful! We talked about how the Bible says that drunkards go to Hell and he was on his way. I told him I found that very sad to think that he would go to Hell, but that I believed God and only God, not him, had the power to change his life. I asked if he would allow me to pray for him. He hesitated saying he did not have faith that God could change him and stop the drinking because a pastor had prayed for him before and he said it didn't help. Boy did I feel for him. I could see the tears welling up in his eyes. But I kept being prompted to pray for him and I told him how I understood why he wouldn't want me to pray. I told him I had faith for him not in him or in myself but in Jesus. He then let me pray with him.
~ OK this was NOT amazing obviously! I'm thankful for the opportunities to pray and tell people about the saving, changing power of Jesus, but what happened next - again Wow. I promised Manuel I would continue to pray for him. He was grateful, but he said that he had no way to go to church as they have to work everyday and this is true. He felt there was no way to live the right kind of life. This is when Margarita really entered into the conversation. She had been saying a few things, but when he said this she began to give her personal story. She explained to him that it is not about going to church as she certainly can't go either. She was telling him that it is about believing in Jesus and having faith and that, "He knows our hearts and minds." I was about to cry watching this dialogue. It was so BEAUTIFUL!!! Seeing my dear, very shy friend begin to share Jesus with Manuel was the BEST! Not only did it thrill me to have her helping me in sharing with him, but it gave me confidence that Margarita really knows Him. She really understands. She was explaining to Manuel that it is not about what we can do or our good works but about knowing Jesus. We all talked about the difference between being religious and having a relationship with Jesus since Manuel saw it as religion and had little faith in the religiousness :) he had seen. I totally agreed that religion is not where it is at! Margarita went on to talk more and share how the Holy Spirit is our guide. We do not have to rely on a person. This is coming from a Catholic! The thing is - she doesn't even really know Catholicism she has not been "educated" in all of those things. She's NEVER had the opportunity to be a part of the churched community; imagine if she thought she had to be a good person, go to church etc... to know Jesus. Praise God that she really gets it! She touched my heart in such a deep way to see her talking to this guy. PLEASE PRAY WITH ME FOR MANUEL'S FREEDOM AND SALVATION & PRAISE GOD WITH ME FOR MARGARITA'S BOLDNESS AND FAITH!

No comments:

THE STORY "How It All Began"

 *Photobucket *                                         * Photobucket*  Here is the story of how it first started. This was written a few years ago for a mission fair at JIPC. Since it was already written there really is no reason to re-do it : ). Jack was not in the picture then so he is not included in this story, but his entrance onto the scene is a story for another time : ). The following is the text from years ago:


In the summer of 1987, I went out with Stono Baptist Church to Jenkin’s camp. There were a guy and girl taking out groups from the Charleston Baptist Association. Immediately, my heart jumped inside when I saw the little children and their excitement to learn. By the end of the time, I saw that not much was made of the wide door of opportunity and was sad. But my prayer then was that I would be able to teach children like that one summer. Little did I know what God already had planned. The next year I was a sophomore at Columbia Bible College, one of my friends was Angela Thomas from Charleston. We were just about out for the summer, in the midst of exams and all the end of the year craziness, when Ange asked me if I’d be interested in teaching out at Migrant camps on John’s Island. Her mom had been asked by Reverend Richard McQueen if Ange would be interested, and since she was unavailable and knew that I lived on John’s Island asked if I might be willing. It seems the person scheduled had bailed last minute and they were trying to find someone. But I know better!
Writing this now April 27, 2005, I can still remember being on Petty Hall like it was yesterday. I was not only willing – it was an answer to a prayer I’d forgotten that I prayed! So with little time to prepare and not knowing exactly what I was getting into, I began what would become the most fulfilling, difficult, heartbreaking, rewarding, joyful, sorrowful, love-filled, exciting summer days and nights : ) of my life. God so perfectly put it all together. It started with CBA, then my local church, Samaritan’s Purse after Hugo when I met Franklin Graham and eventually led to meeting Mr. Henry Meeuwse at James Island Presbyterian Foundation. Teaching children the powerful, life-changing Word of God gives me some of the greatest joy in my life. I also love the food, culture and language : ). The children and their families have become a very rich part of my life. I’m so thankful the other person was unable to go out that summer. I’m sure in God’s sovereignty He had something well suited to him for that summer, also. God’s love and control are boundless; I’m thankful He has given me the blessing of summers with so many wonderful people.

~ So there it is. That is how it began in 1987 as a seed, and then in 1988 as a dream fulfilled.